ABOUT THE THREE BLOOMS OF NARCISSUS ba nu. thuy? tie^n...


In her private world -- the world of a self-taught artist, the three blooms of narcissus reminded her of three Vietnamese school girls before 1975, sweet and innocent. All in pastel colors, like that touch of nostalgia...Trong thế giới riêng tư của cô — thế giới tự học, có ba đóa tiểu thủy tiên (narcissus). Đây là loài hoa tôi rất ưa thích vì cái mộc mạc dịu dàng và nhỏ bé của nó. Ba bông thủy tiên này...Những bông hoa thanh tao bé nhỏ này làm cô nhớ đến hình ảnh ba nữ sinh Việt Nam quấn quýt bên nhau trước 1975. Màu trắng tinh khiết ẩn chút xanh xanh mơ màng hắt lên từ lá, nhụy hoa màu vàng anh tươi mà nhã, xen giữa những cọng lá dài và xanh — có cọng vươn thẳng đầy nhựa sống, có cọng ẻo lả nghich ngợm. Tất cả là màu sắc mềm của phấn tiên...

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

CREATIVE NON-FICTION BY ANH TI MC.: ON THE OCCASION OF TET, THE LUNAR NEW YEAR -- THE IMAGE OF THE CHILD I ONCE WAS

Making Peace and Having Fun with the Homeland: 
THE IMAGE OF THE CHILD I ONCE WAS
By Anh Ti Mc.

NOTE FROM THE BLOG:  Mrs. Mc., a Vietnamese American expatriate, is living in Shanghai with her family. In February 2006, during Tet, she returned to Vietnam to visit after a 31-year absence. The trip was the first time for her Irish American husband and her two children. She left Saigon in 1975 at the age of 12.

EXCERPT:  "I once left my heart in Viet Nam. The trip brought back its Vietnamese beat in me.  I’m still as confused as ever about whom I am.  But somewhere along those 12 days, I’ve found comfort about my past.  My family has discovered what it really means to have a Vietnamese wife and mother..." 
***
For us, Christmas in Shanghai was spent so differently; everything seemed blurry that I could recall only our trip to Thailand. What an experience it was for all of us. The beaches in Phuket were gorgeous (except for Quinn complaining about the topless females walking around), the kids loved riding elephants and playing with the monkeys, Tim loved the Thai massages, and whoa! shopping in Bangkok was like a dream for me!

After a full week of warm and sunny weather we returned to Shanghai’s cold and wet winter. It was delightful to find the city lit up with even more lights. We went to Handel’s messiah where the kids came up with all sorts of different theories why the King decided to stand up during the Halleluiah. Celine asked me why they never asked the King himself “Hey King G. why the heck did you stand up for?” I personally think it’s a great tradition, sure woke up many folks.

New Year came and went. I must have gotten really drunk because I don’t remember anything …..

February brought along the Lunar New Year. Let me tell you… CELBRATION time!!!

We started off with the Dell’s yearly party. A 10-course meal and a 3-hour entertainment program followed with games and prices. Somewhere in the night, Tim sang and danced on stage...I can’t reveal any more details for it would violate Dell’s confidentiality clause.

During the week of Tet, we worked up enough nerves for a visit to Vietnam.
It was my first time back to the place I once called home. I struggled for a long time on when and how I should plan this trip. I’ve been telling Tim and the children so many things about my childhood, it was time they experience it in real life.

From the moment I set foot in Tan Son Nhat airport, I was surrounded by the sound of my mother tongue, all so familiar, so near, so dear. I spoke Vietnamese in 12 straight
days and it felt good. Can’t explain it, felt like home although it wasn’t really home. I decided not to see relatives on this trip, this included visiting the grave site of my grandparents whom I was so closed to. I will wait until when I go back with my mother who will be my rock for emotional support on these things. So, I did the tourist things with my family. Unlike me, they experienced Vietnam through the eyes of a foreigner.

Food and shopping were sumptuous and so inexpensive. We ate so much I think I brought about 5 lbs of extra human fat back with me. Yet, I’m still dreaming about the fruit and dessert stalls at the market..

We left Saigon after the fifth day and headed to a resort in Phan Thiet.  What used to be a fishing village is now still a fishing village but with huge hotels and carved out “private” beaches.  It was a bit cooler here and the waves were strong.  Nevertheless, the kids had a great time jet skiing and swimming.  We took a drive to the Red Sand dunes and learned how to sand slide from the local children who “work” there daily for small tips.  All of them were so beautiful.  Especially in the eyes where you can see all the innocence in the universe, despite the undeniable evidence of  hunger and poverty.  Every time I caught sight of one, I felt a knot in my stomach .. the image of the child I once was.. 

Sunrise in Phan Thiet was breath taking.  I had forgotten how beautiful this country was and the feeling brought tears to my eyes.  We left Phan Thiet and headed to Nha Trang passing so many small cities and I remembered every one of them.  Nha Trang is known 
for its beautiful beaches was once the most famous French developed resort in South Viet Nam.  For sight seeing, we saw the NT Cathedral, Thap Ba Cham Tower, the Pasteur Institute, and paid a visit the humble grave site of Alexandre Yersin in Suoi Dau.  The visit was completed with a boat cruise to the 4 islands nearby.  The boat carried about 40 people, equipped with a kitchen (3 wood burning stoves), bath room and even had room for a live band and a dance floor.  (Don’t ask me how they fitted all that on an old 30-foot boat).  We swam, snorkeled, ate, drank, sang,  and danced and visited 4 islands and an aquarium.  (Don’t ask me how we did all that in 7 hours considering there was heavy tour boat traffic).  It was the most blasting fun we have had for a long time.  Tim drank a lot of the local wine “Vang Dalat”.   

I once left my heart in Viet Nam. The trip brought back its Vietnamese beat in me.  I’m still as confused as ever about whom I am.  But somewhere along those 12 days, I’ve found comfort about my past.  My family has discovered what it really means to have a 
Vietnamese wife and mother.  We feel so blessed and we can’t wait to go back.  Next time, we’ll start with Hanoi, Halong Bay, and travel down to central to visit Hue, the city where I was born.  

No comments:

Post a Comment